Sunday, January 20, 2008

Book Reviews

A lot of people ask me who I like to read. Here are some of my favorites in each of the genres:

Historical Romance - my absolute favorite is The Bride by Julie Garwood. I have re-read this book so much (at least once a year) that I bought a hard cover copy because the paperback would fall apart. The characters make me laugh. I thoroughly enjoy this book. All of Garwood's historicals I really like but Bride is my favorite.
Close second favorite is Johanna Lindsey. Her Mallory series is very entertaining again I like my books to make me laugh and these do.
Other favs are, Catherine Coulter, Jude Deveraux, Stephanie Laurens, Julia Quinn and Amanda Quick. And of course the first historical romance I ever read: Kathleen Woodweiss' Flame and the Flower.

Contemporary Romance - I followed some of my favorite historical writers into the contemporary genre. Jude Deveraux: actually the first book of hers I read was a combo book Knight in Shining Armor-the main characters go from present to past back to present. Again humor is prominent through out the book. The Montgomery family in some form are in a lot of her books.
Jayne Ann Krentz is at the top part of my favs she write Historicals as Amanda Quick and paranormal as Jayne Castle. I like all of her books. I don't think there are any of her contemporary or paranormal books that I don't like - one or two of the historicals are a bit dry, but if it has any of her names on the book I'll read it. I think I have read almost all her contemporary books and all of her paranormal and most of her historicals.
Nora Roberts - again most of her books I really like, though there have been a few..... The last trilogy -Circle Trilogy (Morrigan's Cross, etc.) I had a really hard time getting into the first book and it never really grabbed me - I had to push to finish it -- I haven't even felt like reading the other two - I probably will in the future sometime (I do like that type of book with shape shifters, vamps etc). The newest trilogy, Sign of Seven, I picked up the first book and breezed through it in an evening and really liked it and am pissed because I didn't realize the next book isn't out till May!
Other favs are: Fern Michels(her Sisterhood series esp. Weekend Warriors is great, Debbie Macomber, Christina Skye, Rachel Gibson, Sue Civil-Brown
Enough for now I'll continue later - want to read :-)

No comments: